Friday, August 26, 2011

Good readers and good writers

Nabokov basically says that to be a good reader one must have "imagination, memory, a dictionary and some artistic sense, and I would have to agree with him. a reader needs to be able to imagine what is going on in the book, I have a hard time reading books that I can't picture... I need to see what is going on.
The reader needs to remember what is going on, they have to know what the main person did in the last chapter for something to make sense in the rest of the book.
And they need a dictionary to learn the meaning of a word they might not understand.

With Nabokov's definition of a good reader I believe I am an ok reader, I have a good imagination, and memory... but I lack the use of a dictionary. If I don't know the word I can generally guess the meaning with reading the rest of the sentence; but not always and I'll just skip the word if I don't know it.    


http://oedb.org/library/college-basics/hacking-knowledge










"brain gym exercises." be ruby. Web. 27 Aug 2011.   

4 comments:

  1. Hello Spencer,
    I do the same thing when I am reading,I guess the meaning of the word and most of the time get it right.I am pretty sure that no one I know sits around with a dictionary every time they read a book or anything for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post! I never thought to use a dictionary in all my life! I do use one every now and then. I was really into this article Nabokov makes you feel that you are right there with him. My mind takes me there. It was really something that I never experienced with reading before! I know I have a long way to go be a good write and reader. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a little unrealistic to expect people to sit around reading their favorite novel with a dictionary besides them. one thing i find people need more of is patients. my son has a hard time reading a book when he first starts it. So I challenged him to always read the first three chapters no matter what, and usually he ends up liking the book and finishes. this tactic helps me out to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Spencer,
    I am to have a good imagination and great memory...I so lack the use of a dictionary. Maybe it would be a good thing to use a dictionary but when you go on a trip or reading the back of a back in a book store you don't always think I need a dictionary. I read books that interest me and when I have to read a book for class its hard at times so I read the book more then once. I feel it helps a lot to understand it more.

    ReplyDelete